Author Topic: Onsens/Hotsprings  (Read 2676 times)

dapotatoman23

• Full Thonger
  • Proud Full-time Thonger since 2020
    • View Profile
Onsens/Hotsprings
« on: August 13, 2022, 08:32:56 PM »
I always make an effort to go to an onsen town or at least a public bath whenever I visit family in Japan, and I always wear a thong under the yukata. Since onsens require people to be naked by default, I obviously don't wear my thong in the water, but nothing beats the feeling of getting out from the hot onsen water on a chilly day and slipping a thong on!

kiyoothong

Re: Onsens/Hotsprings
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2022, 03:31:19 AM »
The onsens you go to, are they communal onsens or private? Do you get your own onsen bath or do you have to share it with others?

dapotatoman23

• Full Thonger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2022, 01:57:18 AM »
I almost never get a private bath, I tend to use the shared hot spring as do most people who aren't bathing as a couple or as a family. Most onsens in Japan are shared/communal, although there are also the occasional private ones catering for couples and families.

irthonger

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2023, 08:29:30 PM »
I always make an effort to go to an onsen town or at least a public bath whenever I visit family in Japan, and I always wear a thong under the yukata. Since onsens require people to be naked by default, I obviously don't wear my thong in the water, but nothing beats the feeling of getting out from the hot onsen water on a chilly day and slipping a thong on!

Do you have any recommendations of good onsens around tokyo? I was there about a month ago and didn't have much time to go to any because I also didn't have a car so non were easily accessible.

dapotatoman23

• Full Thonger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2023, 01:09:21 AM »
There aren't any onsens in Tokyo itself as far as I am aware, but there are sentos (public baths) scattered around and in many of the nicer hotels. Alternatively, the most popular onsen town close to Tokyo would be Hakone.

irthonger

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2023, 11:48:14 AM »
There aren't any onsens in Tokyo itself as far as I am aware, but there are sentos (public baths) scattered around and in many of the nicer hotels. Alternatively, the most popular onsen town close to Tokyo would be Hakone.

Ok, yeah that is where I was thinking about going. I found a really nice outdoor onsen I wanted to go to. Like I said though, I just didn't get the chance to travel to Hakone. I only had about 3 hours a day to explore. I was working 14 hours a day while I was there.

dapotatoman23

• Full Thonger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2023, 07:34:55 PM »

Ok, yeah that is where I was thinking about going. I found a really nice outdoor onsen I wanted to go to. Like I said though, I just didn't get the chance to travel to Hakone. I only had about 3 hours a day to explore. I was working 14 hours a day while I was there.

Hope you can enjoy a trip to Hakone next time. Also, if your hotel has a spa, it might very well have a public bath, so that might be work checking out.