Author Topic: Normalize male thongs  (Read 9368 times)

bemapiviz

• Newbie Thonger
    • View Profile
Normalize male thongs
« on: June 02, 2020, 10:01:39 PM »
Which actions do you think underwear brands should do to normalize male thongs? (with this I don't mean thongs would become in the most worn underwear by men, just not to be considered as a freak if you wear it).
I think they should sell their thongs in physical shops, specially in those shops where youngest potentially wearers buy their clothes and underwear because if they see thongs next to boxer briefs, they would consider thongs as an option more. I think this is important because most of underwear brands offer thongs in their catalogue, but they're only available on the internet and if underwear is usually bought in phisycal shops, only people with special interest is going to buy thongs. Even more, I think the probability to take atention to thongs in a physical shop is higger than in an online shop, specially if thongs are in a different section of the target of buyer.

In my opinion, youngest wearer should have priority for brands because they probably haven't got the same prejudices that people in their 30's or 40's, encore when you're young you do what the group do at that age (the group probably wouldn't have prejudices if they see thongs in shop next to typical male underwear) and thus that market action would be more rentable, which is probaly another reason why it's very difficult to find thongs in a physical shop.
English is not my language. I'm sorry in advance for my possible mistakes.

RCBlue

• Sr. Thonger
    • View Profile
Re: Normalize male thongs
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 12:35:17 AM »
I think it would help if there was a selection of thongs as well as bikini style briefs on the shelves at our local brick and mortar stores along with the, now, typical selection of underwear. Just seeing that there is a choice that is readily available would propel people to got things a go. Some would be hooked, some not. Either way it would open up thongs as a normal option. I know for me when I was young, seeing thongs in stores definitely help with my curiosity and willingness to give them a try. Obviously I fell in love with the thong. I can se others doing the same if the option was there when shopping for underwear and swimwear.

Billinathong

• Full Thonger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 04:20:02 AM »
Hi, I do agree that if the high street  shops were to sell thongs then it's would heave a great impact on there social acceptance, I remember in the late 80s early 90s thongs were in every menswear shop, unfortunately only a few were any good, BHS were good, debenhams who are the only high street shop still with thong in store are still not great, M&S were terrible, a lot were a bit novelty and not a good comfortable fit,  this is not going to ever become every day underwear. I wonder on this if we missed the chance we had as high street shopping is very much on the decline. We need celebrity indorsement, get a few high pofile sportsmen wearing them and telling the world how great they are, with the backup of a quality product at a decent price..

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

beachlion

• Full Thonger
  • Hit the beach in a string or less
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 07:34:40 PM »
When there were plenty of thongs in the stores some time ago, male thong wearers were seen as freaks then. Availability is not much of an issue when it comes to normalizing. The only way to normalize is showing up in thongs in public. Exposure by normal male persons in thongs will raise the tolerance. When a guy in a thong is there with his girlfriend/wife it will go even better. When the younger generation would have the balls to go against peer pressure, the freakyness will slowly diminish. Maybe it might even be cool to wear a thong. ;)
100% thong & g-strings, underwear & beachwear, 16/7/365

gstring1986

• Casual Thonger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 12:39:05 PM »
I agree that the lack of thongs in stores can be frustrating but i don’t believe that would be the key by itself. I believe the evolution of sports equipment, whether it be a cup supporter or football pads have switched to be integrated into boxer brief style underwear. When I was in high school and played sports, a cup was worn with a jockstrap. This made the presence of jockstraps in the locker common place. Like a dance belt is common for male dancers, if more athletes had the option of undergarments in thong styles, this would also help with the normalization situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AQUARIUS

• Newbie Thonger
  • Love to show my assets
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2020, 03:10:56 PM »
Which actions do you think underwear brands should do to normalize male thongs? (with this I don't mean thongs would become in the most worn underwear by men, just not to be considered as a freak if you wear it).
I think they should sell their thongs in physical shops, specially in those shops where youngest potentially wearers buy their clothes and underwear because if they see thongs next to boxer briefs, they would consider thongs as an option more. I think this is important because most of underwear brands offer thongs in their catalogue, but they're only available on the internet and if underwear is usually bought in phisycal shops, only people with special interest is going to buy thongs. Even more, I think the probability to take atention to thongs in a physical shop is higger than in an online shop, specially if thongs are in a different section of the target of buyer.

In my opinion, youngest wearer should have priority for brands because they probably haven't got the same prejudices that people in their 30's or 40's, encore when you're young you do what the group do at that age (the group probably wouldn't have prejudices if they see thongs in shop next to typical male underwear) and thus that market action would be more rentable, which is probaly another reason why it's very difficult to find thongs in a physical shop.

That is right.  Few stores sell thongs.  You can find a wide variety on internet.
Love to be Daring Sexy

TxBulgeBum

• Full Thonger
  • flossin and bossin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2020, 08:43:21 AM »
unfortunately i think the issue is more complicated and tied to so many things, but ultimately the idea and image of masculinity, toxic masculinity and homophobia.

too many straight men thing anything not a boxer is 'panties', and straight male dominated cultures [which is most if not all] tend to think of anything else as "less".

We and culture has to actively work on breaking down those barriers, like intimacy with friends [even I dont hug friends, thats something I have to work through], accepting bodies and nudity as normal and not shameful or sexy, and not judging others. We can do only so much with visibility and our own 'activisim' but it's going to take a culture shift, which is slow. and unfortunately, being more accepting of other people's underwear choices and expanding one's own is super low priority, in the state of the world right now :(

one thing might be to actively ask retailers corporate offices to offer more variety in their stores, offer accessible brands with large ranges maybe, to encourage them to give folks better access and instant gratification compared to online shopping. I know many retailers are losing the battle to Amazon and online shopping, and may be open to suggestions?
keep on keepin on, but in thongs. ;)

RCBlue

• Sr. Thonger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2020, 11:44:53 AM »
TxBulgeBum - AMEN! I could not have said it better.

billyboyd1201

• Casual Thonger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2020, 09:11:11 AM »
I probably have an unpopular opinion for this thread specifically, but I personally get a kick out of thongs for men being non-normalized. Something about their "deviant" nature makes wearing them more exciting for me.

I do agree it would be nice to have more selection in regular stores. I would like to be able to get a better idea of their fit before buying. I have particular tastes, and often pictures online don't give you the full idea of the general shape.

asianthonger92

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2020, 04:58:12 AM »
I agree with Billy. If men's thongs became normalized, male thongers wouldn't have that wow factor.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 05:00:09 AM by asianthonger92 »

bemapiviz

• Newbie Thonger
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2020, 05:46:19 AM »
unfortunately i think the issue is more complicated and tied to so many things, but ultimately the idea and image of masculinity, toxic masculinity and homophobia.

too many straight men thing anything not a boxer is 'panties', and straight male dominated cultures [which is most if not all] tend to think of anything else as "less".

We and culture has to actively work on breaking down those barriers, like intimacy with friends [even I dont hug friends, thats something I have to work through], accepting bodies and nudity as normal and not shameful or sexy, and not judging others. We can do only so much with visibility and our own 'activisim' but it's going to take a culture shift, which is slow. and unfortunately, being more accepting of other people's underwear choices and expanding one's own is super low priority, in the state of the world right now :(

one thing might be to actively ask retailers corporate offices to offer more variety in their stores, offer accessible brands with large ranges maybe, to encourage them to give folks better access and instant gratification compared to online shopping. I know many retailers are losing the battle to Amazon and online shopping, and may be open to suggestions?

I agree a lot with you, it's true that gender stereotypes and homophobia are part of this problem. If you use are heterosexual and use thongs you're going to be considered gay -even worse, they consider to be gay as something bad.

Obviously, the end of homophobia is much more important than the end of prejudices of thongs for men, but I think there is more, there is less homophobia than years ago and prejudices in thongs are the same. I think many times gay people break gender stereotypes and heterosexual people after breaking those stereotypes begin to do what gays began before to do but I've got the impression that thongs are seen by gay people as heterosexual people do. I asked something relative to that when I started in this forum (http://mensthongforum.com/index.php?topic=485.0) and most of answers were "similar to heterosexual men". The idea of that thread was due to a conversation with a gay friend who I wanted to tell (because I thought he had got less prejudices) I use thongs sometimes and when the conversation was about that, he said that's freak so I didn't tell him.

PS: In your country men don't hugh or dont wear briefs? That's very curious for me.
English is not my language. I'm sorry in advance for my possible mistakes.

TxBulgeBum

• Full Thonger
  • flossin and bossin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2020, 07:44:21 PM »
Well I mean it’s all subjective, and I’m from the southern Central US... but in general, friendly greetings I experience are fist bumps, waves, and nods. I’m not offered hugs often from men I’m friendly with.

And if I’m offered hugs at all, men women, sometimes family, I’m not comfortable with it. I don’t like physical intimacy or even closeness unless it’s my partner lol.

As for briefs, I mean I guess generic briefs from hands or Calvin Klein are common enough. But generally boxers and boxer briefs are the standard for straight men I’ve known. Anything besides those, like any other brand or style, is too much of a leap from my experience. But I do think attitudes are changing to be more open, very very slowly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
keep on keepin on, but in thongs. ;)

Manthongwearer

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2020, 02:24:54 PM »
I’m totally straight and love thongs. I know I’m in the minority but I find them more comfortable then boxers even. Hopefully they’re getting more popular. But it’s nice to find several people who share the same view.

TightThong

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2020, 03:55:21 AM »
I’m not straight but still just a regular guy in the end.  I wish thongs were just commonplace and nobody batted an eye.  Since women wearing thongs still draws a lot of eyes (both desire and disdain), i don’t think men’s thongs will be fully accepted for quite a long time, if ever.  Which is fine by me.  I just want to wear my stuff and not be looked at strangely at the beach and gym locker room (when/if we ever get back to that!).  It’s getting better out there...i wear thongs as/when/where i like...but its usually around friends/good company or out for a run or at the gym...OR at home and to bed of course. 

We’ll get there...i hope!

beachlion

• Full Thonger
  • Hit the beach in a string or less
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2020, 05:38:23 PM »
Care what others think and you will always be their prisoner.

This text is on my home page and it gives exactly where your problem is. Why do you care for the opinion of others? As long as it is legal, go for it. And don't watch reactions on the faces of the public. It makes you looking insecure and it radiates the idea that you are doing something pervertly.

Be proud and own the looks. That is the only way to normalize thongs.
100% thong & g-strings, underwear & beachwear, 16/7/365