Author Topic: Exposed or concealed waistband?  (Read 3593 times)

explorer

• Newbie Thonger
    • View Profile
Exposed or concealed waistband?
« on: February 16, 2022, 07:28:39 AM »
What's your preferred style in thongs?

Here is my opinion:

Concealed waistband

I am talking about the most popular thong style where the small elastic waistband is hidden behind the fabric.

+ This gives the thong the most proportionate look.

+ When I want the minimalist look, I go for this style. Gf loves the look on me.

- One drawback with this style is that it doesn't provide the best support (unless the I size down, it always goes down the waist in some time).

- If i have to strip down to undies in front in front of people (at changing room at gym, at doctor's, etc), it grabs attention and laughs (sometimes) as the front looks very minimal.

Exposed Waistband

Now, this is not the most popular thong style, but is more popular with briefs.

+ Gives a sober and masculine look from the front.

+ Looks like a brief from the front, so doesn't grab attention if I am stripping down to undies in front of people.

+ Gives amazing support.

- Most companies go for very wide waistband. While, wider waistband works with briefs, but with thongs it does look a bit disproportionate - too large waistband for such a small piece of undie. For example, look at John Sievers waistband thong on International jock.

- Fabric on sides tend to bunch up. I tried John Sievers, Ergowear and Zonbailon. Same problem.

Perfect waistband style

For me, I would love having a thong with a thin exposed waistband. To give you an idea, search for CK carousel thong for women. I don't know why this kind of waistband isn't popular in men's thongs. This would be a perfect combination of looks, fit and comfort.

RCBlue

• Sr. Thonger
    • View Profile
Re: Exposed or concealed waistband?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2022, 02:30:22 PM »
I never liked the wide and (exposed band) look. It just doesn’t look clean and sharpe to me. The wide band always reminds me of the briefs from childhood that I never liked but had no choice in.

Thonglover88

• Newbie Thonger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2022, 03:29:24 PM »
Explorer,
I get what you're saying. Have you seen the Doreanse Are String Thong? https://www.dugg.com.au/doreanse-aire-string-thong-1390-red.html
Its very light weight and comfortable, the string side never move on me.
I've got all the colours, mainly in 75% Polyamide and 25% Elastane, but also a couple in cotton micro modal.

Can recommend them

mbit

• Full Thonger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2022, 04:56:36 PM »
I prefer concealed waistband. I have a few VS cotton thongs with a similar 'carousel' band and those are comfortable too.

I tried to like the wider exposed bands but 90% of them is just a huge billboard for some guys name or a borderline inappropriate word (cocksox, daddy) which I rather not have on me.

kiyoothong

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2022, 05:23:43 AM »
I also prefer the concealed waistband look even though most of my thongs have wide waist bands. One thing I like about wide waistbands is I don't have to worry about potential thong slips when bending down.
Concealed waistbands look great, but the problem is they can get tangled up.

WizardWednesday

• Casual Thonger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2022, 10:06:54 AM »
I like both. For whatever reason, the exposed wide waistband has a sort of masculine or sporty look to it. I tend to like thongs with that wide type of waistband or G-strings with a skinny waistband.

irthonger

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2022, 08:53:33 PM »
I say for swimwear I like the elastic to be covered. I think it looks cleaner and smoother.

For everyday underwear the exposed elastic is much better. It lays flatter and stays in place all day. Something like an Ergowear Max light thong or Ace & Indigo Logo thong. It looks manlier and athletic as well.

This is also the difference between something meant to be seen and something not.

jdstring

• Newbie Thonger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2022, 09:21:06 AM »
Hey Explorer.

You might want to take a look at some of the Gregg Homme styles at the moment. When I googled the CK carousel thong, it instantly brought to mind the Bubble and Voyeur styles, which I’ve bought in quite a few of the colours. The waistbands are quite similar.

jdstring

• Newbie Thonger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2022, 01:23:45 PM »
Most of my thongs are concealed waistband. I get where you’re coming from on the drawbacks of the exposed waistband styles. I do have a number of exposed waistband ones though and to be honest I’m likelier to wear them for leg day at the gym because of the support they offer.
So many of the first thongs for men I owned were that  exposed waistband style though because they were the ones stocked in bricks and mortar stores - long thrown out now.

Of the exposed waistband ones I didn’t throw out and acquired more of the same style, which get the most wear, are my C-in2/2xist/Andrew Christian y-back styles. I own two Ergowear  MAX style thongs and they’re seldom worn. The Ergowear FeelGr8” and SLK styles I own though are worn a lot.

dapotatoman23

• Full Thonger
  • Proud Full-time Thonger since 2020
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2022, 02:15:32 AM »
I likewise prefer the concealed waistband, as exposed the fabric of the waistbands tend to twist after a few hours of use (there are exceptions to this though). Interestingly, where I grew up, briefs are the most common and preferred men's underwear style, and mini-briefs and tanga briefs without those exposed waistbands are very common. Additionally, I think the Emporio Armani thongs have a relatively thinner exposed waistband, which I like.

irthonger

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2022, 06:00:14 PM »
I like both styles. there are some brands with thin waistbands like doreanse. The air thong is pretty nice. very light and thin.